Friday, September 7, 2007

August 2001

It's my birthday in 4 days time. I get a bit reflective over this time. So bear with me.

Big things always happen to me in August. 'Big 'as in life-changing; some breath taking moments and some traumatising incidents.

Let's see ... I was born in August! Hey, that's a big deal to ME you know!

My next few blogs are going to about these events. The Good. The Bad. And the Ugly.

I was hijacked in August (2001). MJ was in the car with me at the time!!! We were actually 'reminiscing' about that night. She was traumatised badly. And I had my two foster daughters with me. (Yup, I'm the Old Lady Who Lived In A Shoe. No, scrap that. I'm the 'Ol Lady Who Lived With A Lot Of Shoes!) They were 2 and 3 at the time, and I had to beg with the hi-jackers to let me take them out of the car. *Shudder* I don't like thinking about that night.

My two foster daughters came to live with me and D-Max in August! I saw an advert in our local newspaper in the personal ads (no, don't get any ideas!). It was an adoption home looking for families to become foster parents. The ad also mentioned that two little multi-racial girls were looking for a home. (they worded it better, mine sounds like an ad for puppies!) D was 6 at the time and independent enough to handle another child in the family; and I was longing for a baba. And I thought, what a beautiful way to give back to the Universe. I got in to touch with home and made an appointment to meet with the Matron and social worker.

After the initial interview I was accepted to undergo a course and follow the screening processes in my application to become a foster mother. I enquired as to the two little girls and was informed that they were back with their mother and they were going to 'give it a try'. To be honest I was very disappointed. The thought of those little girls running around my house was so appealing and my motivating factor in getting hold of the home. But by that time I had become engrossed in the courses and the interviews and the home visits; I was very committed to giving any child a place in my home, my heart and my family.

Ironically, before the scheduled end of the course I received a call from the wonderful social worker to say that the two little girls I had enquired about urgently needed a place of safety as they had been severely neglected. I thought "Wow! I need to go shopping; I need to get the girls room ready."

There was no time for shopping or making the bed however, as I had to go to the home to fetch them now. At a social workers visit that day, they found that the alcoholic drug addict prostitute mother has deserted the girls, once again, to find herself in Hillbrow. She had left the girls with her mother; an alcoholic woman herself, whose own children had gone through the welfare system.

So that afternoon I was Mom to two more little angels!

It was a beautiful experience in love; one that words can never convey.

I fell in love with the baby instantly. One look was all it took. She even looked like Daniel and I! When they left for another foster family I was devastated. The weird thing ... eight months later I was pregnant with The Diva. The weirdest thing ... The Diva looks exactly like the Baby. If I show people photo's of the Baby, they think it's The Diva; even madam is convinced it's her in the picture!

It was certain the older one had FAS (Foetal Alcohol Syndrome) as she exhibited many of the symptoms, and with the mother's obvious history ... so sad.

I miss my BooBoo's. But they did teach me the true meaning of unconditional love. A small matter such as DNA did not get in the way of me loving my children.

No comments: